Monday, December 19, 2011

Ginger Bread Cookies [based on Paula Deen's recipe]

This is Paula Deen's ginger bread cookie recipe with my frosting. We make these every year and it is something my kids look forward to with great anticipation!

3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 stick butter, room temp
2 large eggs
1/4 cup molasses
3 & 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

Mix sugar and butter. Add eggs and molasses and mix. Add the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix.

If planning to use cookie cutters, refrigerate dough at this point for a couple of hours. [I give my kids a big ball of it w/out refrigeration and let them shape it as they want like tasty play dough - but don't eat it till its cooked because of the eggs!]

Preheat oven to 350.

Shape cookies as desired [roll out and use cookie cutters,or shape by hand].

Bake for 10 minutes or just beginning to brown at edges. Let cool.

Kelly's Simple Butter Cream Icing
:

1 stick butter, room temp
2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tBSP cream [or more if needed to get consistency I want]
1 tsp vanilla
food coloring if desired

Mix it all together. Then divide it and color it, if desired.

From here, I put it into a sandwich bag, cut off one corner and let the kids decorate their cookies to their heart's content.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the comment on my blog about 'nice' kids. I wish you well with the challenges, & I do believe they are there. It's up to us teachers & parents to keep advocating for those who are doing the right things. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete